Thursday, February 28, 2008

Herbie the Roboski

Rane wrote a mini biography of Herbie, and I will like to share it with all of you.


Rane's Words

I did a small little write up on my hamster shortly after he has passed away on 19th February 2008, at the age of 8 months old (estimated). There were no signs or symptoms of his abrupt death, thus it was hard for us to accept it, especially when he's not even a year old. We did not send him for any autopsy to be done, thus his death will always remain as a mystery.


Allow me to share his story with all of you.

Herbie's Story


My parents were feeding the strays as usual on a cold night in July 2007, when they heard a rustling sound from the drain. This sound aroused the interest of one of the stray cats. Suspecting that there could be a bat trapped in the drain or worse, a snake hiding amongst the leaves, my parents decided to investigate further.

To their surprise, they saw a small little container half filled with sunflower seeds, and on top of it, a small little hamster was trotting and jumping. He looked at my parents with his big bright beautiful eyes, curious to the surroundings.

***************************************************************
Despite being a beautiful baby Roboski, Herbie was an abandoned hamster.
***************************************************************

My mother was still commenting on how active he can still be when he was almost on the verge of death. Imagine how happy the stray cats would have been playing around with a ‘new toy’, or how he would have been drowned when it rains, since he was abandoned in a drain that was at least four feet deep.

The following night after my parents found the hamster, it was pouring heavily. “Curse that person who abandoned that poor hamster in the drain”, was what I thought to myself. How could anyone bear to abandon a defenseless hamster when he was barely a month old, leaving for him to die!

For some unknown reasons, I had the urge to name the hamster Grace, probably because I thought of God’s grace. I was very thankful that my parents had found Grace in time, and I felt comforted having him around, especially after the death of Hope (our previous hamster).

***************************************************************
God’s Grace
***************************************************************

Due to our busy schedules, we only managed to bring Grace to the vet a month later for a general checkup. It was only then did we discover that Grace was a boy! As ‘Grace’ was still very young when we found him, it was hard to tell his gender as his vital organs were not fully developed.

We had to rename him. I have always thought that he looked like Herbie, the golden retriever with his slightly fair coloured face, thus I have decided to name ‘Grace’ after Herbie.

At the same time, I thought that Herbie looked a bit like a peanut with his small thin waist and had initially wanted to name Peanut as his middle name. However, upon seeing how he rolled up like a little ball, I had the urge to name him Walnut too. After much thought about it, I have decided on Herbie Walnut, since Peanut was a tad too common.

***************************************************************
Herbie Walnut was his name
***************************************************************


1 comment:

♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥ said...

OH Sugar,

what a wonderful tribute to Herbie. it was very touching. me can see why you would miss him. i would love to be on your blog list. if the Mommy figures out how to add names my list i wull add your to mime too!! she can be such as Doofuss some time.

I have a bunvh of friends that live where ya do. Do you any of them.

Rossi, Reina, and Luckie have been me friends since me atarted blogging. My brudder Jacks was Reina's fella so we don't get to talk to her very much anymore now that he doesn't live with us anymore. I miss her a lot.

Love ya...Mona